Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Research into K-12 Online Learning Blogging Activity 1

What did the report tell you about the current state of research in K-12 online schooling?  What surprised you?  What was confirmed for you?


      This is a report that I have previously reviewed.  The report indicates that K-12 online/blended learning is increasing at a rapid pace over the entire country and is here to stay. The Keeping Pace with K-12 Online Learning Annual Review (2011) states that “online and blended learning opportunities exist for at least some students in all 50 states” (pg. 4). Online and Blended Learning is increasing partly because of the implementation of The Common Core State Standards.
     It was confirmed for me that many schools of higher education and high schools are taking hold of the online/blended learning ahead of middle and then elementary schools. I work in an elementary school, and it seems logical to me that elementary students would be the last targeted.  It did surprise me that Florida was the only state that had any online program for elementary students at the time the report was released.  It also was confirmed in the student ethnicity (p. 35) portion of the report that Hispanic, Black, and Asian students are underrepresented in online/blended learning.  Again, I was not surprised with this information, because I work in a school with almost 100% of my students falling into these categories.  Furthermore, the report indicated in the special populations section (p. 35) that the free/reduced lunch students were “severely” underrepresented. This does not surprise me at all. Many of these students do not have the access to the internet at home. 
     I was a bit surprised when I read some of the information relating to special education students.  It was mentioned that there is an emphasis to meet the needs of special education students in blended & online learning due to the response to the federal government.  We always should try to include special education students if at all possible or come up with an alternate plan.  I do think that many times it is important to have a special education student in a face-to-face class.  My husband is a high school special education teacher, and it would be nearly impossible to teach his students using any online format. 

 Keeping pace with K-12 online learning: An annual review of policy and practice.
       (2011). Retrieved from
       http://kpk12.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/KeepingPace2011.pdf

No comments: