Monday, October 1, 2012

International Research into K-12 Online Learning Blogging Activity

For your institution, consider the criteria on the next page and decide on one of three tasks:      
1.  Decide on the relevance to your institution’s/sector’s future success

     I chose number one for the task for this blogging activity.  I currently work in an elementary school that is not virtual and does not have any immediate plans to offer online education.  Our county does have an online school although elementary is not included at the moment.  It will be added at a future date.  All students in my county have the option to choose the online campus if their grade level is offered.  
     I reviewed the criteria for Quality, Benchmarking and Success Factors for Virtual Colleges and Schools by Paul Bacsich, and I do not find it relevant to my current institution.  At the present, we do not offer any type of virtual schooling.  I think online learning is terrific, but I am not sure of the impact on the students that I have at my school.  I work in a low income Title I school.  Many of our students do not have a computer and/or internet at home.  
     We had parent/teacher conferences at my school today for example.  After the conferences, the parents came to the media center to complete a parent perception survey online.  Many came as they do not have the access at home. In addition, a parent came to me today asking for help with multiplication for her daughter.  She wanted information about a tutor as well.  She also wanted to know where her daughter could use a free computer after school hours for educational purposes.  I suggested the public library, and she explained that the time was so limited and the lines were long for the computers at the library. I sure do not want to rule out online learning for our students.  Perhaps, they could participate at some level during the school day.  However, this would not give them the full benefit of online learning.  Our students must have access before leaping into the virtual world.  The future success is dependent upon this access.




No comments: